As information becomes available from the National Hurricane Center, local and state officials will be analyzing the forecasts to determine when to order an evacuation. An evacuation order may come from local officials and/or the Governor.
Stay tuned to local television/radio broadcast stations for evacuation instructions. Travel with care. Evacuation orders are mandatory.
Nobody saves a house by staying in it.
If You Must Evacuate
- Shut off all gas valves and main water valves, as well as the main electrical switch, before leaving your home
- Take important documents with you, especially insurance policies and documents establishing home ownership
- Be alert for tornadoes, which are often spawned by hurricanes
- Carry along survival supplies, ideally in large plastic garbage bags
- Bring medicine and/or any other specialty items
- Do not bring pets, alcoholic beverages, or weapons to Red Cross shelters
- Take warm, protective clothing